Recorded my first original song while still at school at Murray Bridge. Singing lessons with Gilbert & Sullivan Society. Learnt banjo/mandolin. Taught myself guitar and harmonica. Went to SA School of Art. Began singing in coffee lounges, clubs and hotels.
appeared regularly on Adelaide Tonight, and Channel 10’s Intime, won the SA Grand Final of New Faces in 1968 and narrowly beaten into 2nd place in the National Grand Final in Melbourne. Award winning, successful debut album “Coming Home In A Jar” in 1972, was followed by a succession of successful bands including the ‘Mount Lofty Rangers’, with Bon Scott (AC/DC). Toured Australia, 1972-73 with Brian Cadd & the Bootleg Family, and as a solo artist has supported many of the world’s best known bands, such as The Byrds & Steel Eye Span, at the Adelaide Festival Theatre.
Lead singer for his band Black Fire at the iconic Myponga Festival in 1971 and was acknowledged by Bob Dylan as a preferred performer of his songs in 1974.
Recorded with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, opened the Out Back Fringe Festival at Roxby Downs and has a large cult following in Europe with his million-seller hit song (1995) Forever Blue (a co-write with Grahame Goble) recorded by John Farnham & Little River Band. Appointed an Australia Day Ambassador in 2008 and each year performs in a different part of South Australia. This Australia Day he performed at Waikerie alongside Russell Morris to an audience of 4,500 people.
Runs a successful music program at the Repatriation Hospital for dementia patients, and veterans suffering from PTSD, regularly plays at RSL Clubs and retirement villages as well as his own concert series around Adelaide venues, and tours to outback country towns and festivals.
Following a sell-out Adelaide Fringe Concert, he has been invited to perform at Edinburgh Fringe 2016 in Scotland.
Top 5 characteristics of people who work in your field
- Self starters
- Thick-skinned and Optimistic
Top 5 skills relevant to working in your industry
- Talent in your chosen field
- Practice, practice, practice
- Ability to self-promote and organise
- Ability to relate to your fans-a people person
- Business management to ensure you don’t starve!
What education/experience is necessary for your role?
- Music lessons either singing on an instrument or both
- Reading music is a plus.
- A music degree is useful, but not essential
- Presentation and promotion skills
- Business management and basic financial skills
- Understanding of the music industry and its many pitfalls.
- Learn your craft, especially what makes a good song.